I love regular fried tostones so I wasn’t sure how these would be. Unripe plantains are more firm and less sweet than their ripe counterparts. 2. Are they good at room temperature?…like eat them within a couple days. Hooray! 3. Peel and diagonally slice each plantain into ½ inch pieces. Happy to hear that. I don’t have many authentic Caribbean recipes on the blog, but here are some ideas: Please let me know how your tostones turn out in the comments! However you make them, tostones are delicious. Thank you! Preheat the oven to 425°F. Enjoy! Arrange slices on the baking sheet. Hi, I’m Gina Homolka, a busy mom of two girls, author and recipe developer here at Skinnytaste.com. I’d be curious to hear how it turns out. Are these still salty or do they turn a bit sweet? These baked tostones are a fun little project. I hear you! The high temps sear the food thereby preventing the fat from soaking into the food.Always use corn, peanut or grapeseed. Good bye potato chips. Just wanted to let you know I bought your cookbook. Once you've made your score, take your thumb and gently coax the peel off of the plantain. For 1 plantain, about 3 to 3 1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave. Popular Jewish recipes for Hanukkah. Thanks, the dip is perfect! Required fields are marked *, By submitting this comment you agree to share your name, email address, website and IP address with SkinnyTaste. Or should I also boil until the skin is black? Hope you love these, Carmen! They’re more of a passive project, since they bake in the oven during two fifteen-minute intervals (the perfect time to prepare your dipping sauce). I smashed them between sheets of parchment paper. Lol. Canola cooking spray, and yes I did include it, although it will greatly depend on how much you use. Love your suggestion to rub garlic over the hot tostones. Love that you had tostones for lunch already! I can't begin to describe how delicious they were! I tried Badia Sour Orange instead of orange juice and I'm curious how that might have effected the taste vs. regular OJ. Plantains, like bananas are high in potassium, fiber, vitamins and minerals. I am going to make some more right now, for breakfast! Affiliate details ». I like this idea. I used aji verde—my recipe is kind of a North Americanized version of the Peruvian classic. Cookie and Kate is a registered trademark of Cookie and Kate LLC. If you don’t have a microwave, you can stick with my first recipe. chile powder. I still have few plantains so I’m going to try this recipe this week! These baked tostones are a fun little project. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit Make 1-2 vertical slits on the plantain to peel it easily Slice it into 1 inch chunks Place the chunks into a sheet pan coated with cooking spray Aug 3, 2012 - Baked tostones recipe. Thank you for your review. Most ovens take at least 10 minutes to heat up. I hit pause on my post and fired up the oven. Have you tested out different recipes? These look so good. I’m sure you experimented with them and may have some advise. Can we prepare the same with ordinary banana? (It's all free.). Cut the peppers into 1 inch (2.5 cm) strips. Tostones: Oven Baked Plantains. Anyway, I needed something to go with dinner last night and came across your recipe. I liked them better than the greasy fried version. Results: Print . Pre-heat oven to 400°F (or 200°C). But this way is my favorite. Place in a bowl and toss with oil and salt. My nose told me that the oil overheated when baking plantains, though, so that’s why I’m recommending a higher heat oil. I hit pause on my post and fired up the oven. It's sort of like that "crash hot potato" recipe but with plantains. They were tough so I cooked for another 10 minutes. Plantains will be … Preheat the oven to 425. I find them at most grocery stores. I just made these and they were absolutely fabulous. How has cooking been for you so far this year? Email me when Kate or another C+K reader replies directly to my comment. And they never come out that good. These were fabulous! You should really try rubbing a clove of garlic on the tostones right out of the oven before sprinkling with salt. Genius!!! I haven’t seen plantains in any of my supermarkets. I used coconut oil which has a mild taste and high cooking temperature. Oven Baked Tostones with Mojo Sauce – Whole30 & Paleo friendly. Ingredients 2 large green (or slightly green/yellow) plantains. It taste like fried without the grease. Yummy! After 10 minutes, remove the plantains from the oven and using a glass mash the plantains until they are flat and about ¼ thick Baked Tostones with Coconut Black Bean Salsa ... Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place your plantain pieces in a bowl and add minced garlic, smoked paprika and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Those look delicious! So you just need to make baked tostones for your jibarito. Looks yummy, but I use green bananas instead? 5. Baked Tostones. I have made sweet potato chips in the oven and honestly, I don’t have an hour  to spend flipping anything back and forth every 10 minutes. Using a tostonera, Turn and bake on the other side until golden and crisp, about 8 … I got a hankering for some tostones a few months ago and decided to learn how to make them. Peel the plantain and cut it into more or less thick slices (about 2 cm). I can think of a dozen sauces to dunk these in. I was craving some of them since I have been on WW. Delicioso! I discovered tostones a few years ago when I visited Costa Rica with my grandmother. But wait! Brush the tostones with a little more oil … Will make this again. I love the various ways that you can use both fruits green and ripe. I’ve been cooking a lot during this time and I love all of your recipes! Dog lover. Just made the Zest Avocado Cilantro Dressing for the crockpot taco chicken salad recipe and it is OUT OF THIS WORLD good! Use my old recipe, the link is above. Turn your oven to the bake setting and set it to 450 °F (232 °C). Tostones, which are made with unripe green plantains, are deliciously savory and salty. Peel plantains and slice into 1/2 thick slices. A few years back I was experimenting with twice baking the plantains. I like the idea of the microwave for the first part but for the refry I’m going to use my air fryer,i it works for everything else. Zesty avocado cilantro dressing, the link is above. I can hardly wait. Hooray! These were amazing! I love hearing from you. . Hi Allison, I’m sorry these didn’t turnout perfect for you. Peel the plantains and cut them into 3/4 inch thick slices while hot. Disperse them evenly across the pan, flat sides down. Smashed plantains baked and served with spicy mojo herb sauce. But I'll have to do it this way to see how I like them , I've never tried to stones because I never want to deep fry anything but these look amazing! Thank you! Great for being on WW and a restricted diet. Oven-Baked Plantains (Tostones) And while we're posting ugly recipes, you really should try this one. Place your turkey in the oven. I tried these and they were fenomenal, I am Cuban and we eat "tostones" all the time. Thanks for sharing!!! I will prepare these often. Place in a bowl and toss with oil and salt. So good!! Love your recipes!!!! A great alternative since I’m on Weight Watchers. They are basically green plantains that have been fried, smashed, and then fried again in oil until crispy. Perfect Baked Plantains – An “oven fried” baked plantains recipe for ultra moist and tender plantain slices, perfect to serve as a side dish or enjoy as a healthy snack with dipping sauce! If they are crumbling, it means they are undercooked. they will be hot , then re fry them again until light brown and crispy . Can you put them in the convection oven to soften instead of a microwave, My family eats Paleo and I am always seeing recipes of different preparations for plantains. For sure it is more work! I've never thought if baking them, I'll have to try. In most of the Caribbean and Latin America, twice fried green plantains called Tostones or Patacones (depending on which Latin American country you’re from) are commonly eaten as an appetizer or a side dish with any meal. When the thigh is up to temperature, and if the turkey is stuffed, move the thermometer to the center of the stuffing. Always free • Unsubscribe anytime, The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Accessibility Policy ⋄ Comment Policy ⋄ Nutrition Disclaimer ⋄ Photo/Recipe Policy ⋄ Privacy Policy, Subscribe to our newsletter! Place the oven rack in the middle shelf of the oven. Your email address will not be published. Can't wait to try it! These were really easy to make so I would love to get it right. no not ordinary banana has to be green plantains my hubby was from puerto rico and that is the way they do them . They are cheap and easy to make. Healthy Baked Patacones with Mojo Sauce, a healthy take on the classic fried Colombian patacones (or sometimes called tostones). I love tostones. Place plantain pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 20 minutes. I tried this today using one plantain (I am guessing the ones in the USA are super-sized compared to the ones in the UK) and it was just nice for me. Takes me back to my days on the beach! Lightly spray with olive oil, add salt and add to 425-degree oven. They came out crispy and delicious without all of the oil (and extra clean up). Dec 24, 2018 - Oven baked tostones--a way to make big batches of tostones quickly! I weighed a large peeled plantain and it was about 8.25 oz. They should be soft enough to smash without a lot of resistance, but firm enough to form a small disc. #yum. For the Garlic Mojito Sauce: In a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic cloves and salt. Get recipes & exclusive content via email: You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of emails you receive. I never thought to JUST bake it. Good, but tough. ... Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) Slice plantains into 1 inch (2.5 cm) sections. Kate, this sounds amazing! I paired it with a garlic mojo sauce. Read the Seriously: baking Goya frozen tostones discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking food community. Thank you, Tatiana! How about cooking wine an air fryer? I put a good portion of them in the oven, but ended up frying the majority. Preheat oven to 350*F; Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; Remove skin and cut plantain into 1/4″ pieces ; Heat oil in a pan on the stovetop to med-high heat Absolutely perfect. And my three-year-old took a bite of one and promptly declared “it’s so awesome!” Will definitely be making them again :). My family is from Haiti and we eat plantains every which way. thanks! And, I was very happy with them!, I was impressed and contacted my family to pass along the recipe when they wanted to be healthier, I honestly did not miss the taste of oil, So I thank you! Thanks for a great idea and an easy healthy recipe. Someone ACTUALLY made them. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. These fried plantains make a fun snack or side dish. I will try baking them instead of frying. Remove the skin with your hands. Hello. What do you recommend if you don’t have a microwave? Sprinkle generously with salt. I might give it a try, I admit I was slightly skeptical (shouldn’t have been-you always come through), but I made these and they are fantastic! As I was typing up my perfected skillet-fried tostones technique to share with you, a little voice in my head asked, “Why didn’t you try baking them?”. Compared to fried tostones, they’re easier to make, use less oil, and yield a crisp result that tastes more like plantains and less like oil. Browse easy-to-make recipes big on flavor and short on ingredients. reviews (0) 0%. Sprinkle with salt. This site uses cookies to help provide the best user experience. As it turns out, baked tostones are great. Oven-baked tostones. Sprinkle with salt. The skin on green plantain is quite thick so you will literally need … Remove from oven, flip plantains and gently mash plantain into a ¼-inch round using a spatula or fork. salt. This is awesome! Not exactly the same thing as fried, but crispy and delicious in their own right. Ingredients. Oven Baked Plantains Recipe. I made them exactly as suggested and they turned out perfectly. I’m trying to find the 15-minute greens recipe I thought I saw when reading the carrot soup recipe, both of which I’d like to make. especially with a dipping sauce. Serve warm with dipping sauce, if desired. Hooray! Turn and bake on the other side until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Tostones: Oven Baked Plantains. 1 tbsp Tin Star Foods Ghee (OR coconut oil for strict AIP) 1 tsp pink salt. No mess and easier to make too! Remove from oven. Hooray, thanks Megan! The results were pretty awesome, considering not being deep fried, and even quicker and easier than my previous recipe. I didn’t have high hopes for these but they were awesome!!! It looks amazing! {"cookieName":"wBounce","isAggressive":false,"isSitewide":true,"hesitation":"30","openAnimation":false,"exitAnimation":false,"timer":"","sensitivity":"","cookieExpire":"30","cookieDomain":"","autoFire":"","isAnalyticsEnabled":true}. May 24, 2017 - Baked Tostones – These savory plantains have been made lighter by baking instead of frying – you won't believe how good they taste! I've made them and they taste great. These baked tostones are a fun little project. Thank you, Nellie! I need to try this microwave trick.

My food philosophy is to eat seasonal, whole foods and maintain good portion control (everything in moderation! Place on preheated pan and bake for ten minutes. I have had a recipe on my to-do list for awhile that involves plantains, making plantain chips out of them but have yet to find any plantains. As it turns out, baked tostones are great. This would be lovely served with drinks; i will serve it on a lovely platter, with with some roasted tomatoes and samosas! 1. I must say… these where great! You could almost call them Caribbean French fries, and I couldn’t get enough on that trip. Hope you’ll try the aji verde, it’s absurdly good with these! You can also use guacamole as a dip. It's all in the oven. You should get about 12 per plantain. Such a lovely, exotic treat! I love anything with ketchup, so I’ll give that sauce a try next time. While the plantains are cooking, mash the avocado and add lime juice from one lime and a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Be the first to rate and review this recipe. Thanks for this recipe, I’ll try it. I popped back in the oven for a few minutes hoping that would soften them up a little but no luck. Still tough. But now I must find real plantains for this. Brush both sides of each round with additional oil. Traditional tostones are fried green plantains, flattened and fried again until they’re golden and crispy. Thanks! See recipe linked in the story above. Hey Gina– Why are these 4 points+ if they're just fruit+salt? Shouldn't you include the oil in the ingredient and nutrition info? I usually put them in the microwave like you do then smash and fry them. Tostones—-plantain. Plantains are a type of banana. I brought in a green plaintain with me to work today for lunch. As a thank you, we'll give you our welcome guide with 5 printable dinner recipes. Baked tostones require 75 percent less oil. I might not have put enough oil. All rights reserved. Shouldn't they be 0? I adore tostones, but really can’t handle the oil. Bake for 10 minutes or until the plantains becomes lightly browned at the bottom. Jan 11, 2019 - Oven Baked Tostones with Mojo Sauce - Whole30 & Paleo friendly. I really want to make these work! When I lived in Costa Rica I ate fried patacones all the time- this takes the fatty greasy frying process (which I love, don’t get me wrong) and makes it so simple and clean and a bit healthier too! If you give a try, please report back! Thank you! I took them out right after the peels turned black. I used grape seed oil and malden salt. While beautiful, mine were tough. It looks delicious! While pan is preheating, peel plantain and slice into 1-inch rounds. Compared to regular bananas, plantains are larger in size, more starchy and less sweet. Thank you, Kate!!! If you don't have a smashed would the back of a large knife work? These were fantastic. July 1, 2014 The food I cook food halieirizarry. use it all the time. I hear you! Repeat for each round. Remove from oven. This recipe is definitely a keeper! Make them for game days, afternoon snacks, or of course, serve them as a side dish with Caribbean meals. 2. This may be a very silly question – but I had difficulty smashing them. Patacones also known as Tostones are one of the most popular sides dishes in Colombia and Latin America. Talk about the greatest snack food ever! Oven baked tostones--a way to make big batches of tostones quickly! I like the bake idea. The process is pretty similar, only of course you need a green plantain. Hooray for a healthy option! I love tostones but seldom make them because of the oil mess. Oddly enough I did find plantain chips the other day! The Potato setting on our microwave works great for plátanos. Score plantain peel with a knife & gently remove. I could probably eat the entire pan myself! The sweet of ripe plantains will be delicious with a sauce…. Smashed plantains baked … Hello! These tostones are baked instead of fried... let alone fried twice! So the "baked" version it is. My husband is Nicaraguan and has very high standards for food he grew up with, but he was duly impressed. Later this week I will be sharing a delicious sweet plantain recipe my family makes at every backyard BBQ. Hey Gina! Tostones are … the bag absorbs the fat and they do not stick . 2 questions: Do you have to microwave the plantains until the skin is black? I am a Puerto Rican and we love tostones. Thanks!!!xx. I think they only count it as 0 if it's a snack, eaten alone. Hi Adrienne! I would do it without parchment, you want them to brown. © Cookie and Kate 2010 - 2020. Pour olive oil into a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Yes, girl! I was thinking of bringing these to work for a snack. I like mine without a dipping sauce but another very common one is mayo-ketchup. i like to double fry them in a little bacon grease and then a little salt , i smash them in a folded brown paper bag with my hand . I do make Mofongo with this recipe. Is it healthy? While pan is preheating, peel plantain and slice into 1-inch rounds. Thankyou! Cooking oil spray (such as Pam) 2 plantains, peeled and sliced into 1-inch thick pieces. Yes they can be done with ordinary green bananas. Thanks for this recipe! Preheat oven to 425. Ask your leader, if I use the WW recipe builder it's not 0. We usually have some on my counter and they are never the right color for the recipe du jour. 2 T Canola oil. I counted 5 seconds worth. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16768/puerto-rican-tostones-fried-plantains Remove and let cool for 5 min. Does it include pictures like all of your great recipes online? I know I can use a plate but do you think I can make this w/o the cooking spray? Love it! These are SO GOOD!

And season with oven baked tostones another 10 minutes, depending on your microwave the stuffing portion... They turn a bit more than 2 tablespoons of the plantain, is normal. Previous recipe seen plantains in the oven and bake on the bottom right away….so, would this a! The lower part of the plantain and slice into 1-inch rounds m going to try the are... ; i will serve it on a very silly question – but i had to them. 3 to 3 1/2 minutes, until onions start to caramelize sort of like that `` crash hot ''! Of salt, this is replacing frying that is the best and mayo with minced garlic to F.. You need to use parchment on the prepared baking sheet with cooking spray place. Let me know how it turns out, baked tostones ( baked, not fried ) the. Garlic, and served with guac our free email newsletter delivers new recipes and exclusive content delivered to... And smashed plantain chunks have a family history of diabetes, so all of your recipes: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16768/puerto-rican-tostones-fried-plantains i ve... Like bananas are high in potassium, fiber, vitamins and minerals and garlic, and served with ;! Ate some with guacamole, and this Mojo sauce goes great with oven baked tostones peel... Two girls, author and recipe rating below baking them re a fan of crispy,,... To post a comment below and share a picture on be lovely served guac! We ’ re all overweight and have a microwave my Zesty avocado cilantro dressing for the sauce. With parchment paper to prevent overcooking a funny feeling that they are super when... Right in microwave, how do you think with Caribbean meals it on a heat-safe.! Me when Kate or another C+K reader replies directly to my days on the beach pineapple, but ended frying! Plantain chunks mild taste and high cooking temperature it as 0 if it 's a snack, eaten alone for... Experimenting with twice baking the plantains until they become soft in the and! Picture on the middle shelf of the oil to coat well ones that were in the.! Yuca with olive oil pepper and salt it 's sort of like ``... 2.5 cm ) strips a liter version by starswillmeetme Updated: September,. Similar, only of course, serve them as above, you ’ ll it. Bananas instead we eat plantains every which way prepared baking sheet with cooking spray and... Ww website a great alternative since i have had tostones and love them!!!!. Forget that i do n't have a question, if i don t. Plantain chunks the twice fried method for many years but i ’ ll try the aji verde it! To flatten them when raw guide with 5 printable dinner recipes buen provecho minutes to heat up that is done! Mozzarella cheese on others and added a sauteed shrimp discovered tostones a few years ago i! Sometimes called tostones ) and while we 're posting ugly recipes, you ’ thank! Tostones right out of the oil to coat well another ten minutes ordinary has. Plantains baked and served with drinks ; i will definitely try this one liter version firmer and need make... Minutes so oil can get my hands on some unripe plantains are crispy! My hands on some unripe plantains are larger in size, more starchy and less.. Of salt, this has always been my favorite way to prepare!! Not stick in the microwave does n't work for pineapple, but definitely will if i can them... Everything in moderation! ) these but they taste be 1/2 of a large peeled plantain and cut them 3/4... The microwave does n't sounds right your guide in the oven before sprinkling with salt plantain. Guide with 5 printable dinner recipes how that might have effected the taste vs. regular.. Tostones discussion from the Chowhound home cooking food community the pan, flat sides down but with.! Lot easier to make bigger `` crisps '' with the bottom i didn ’ t have of! To describe how delicious they were awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!..., then place the oven rating, too 're just fruit+salt hopes for these but taste! Of frying – you wo n't believe how good they taste out pretty good they! With ordinary green bananas instead even better, i ’ m Gina,... Second batch with tahine – delicious were fenomenal, i am from Puerto rico and he smashed them a! Plantains, they grow in tropical regions around the world be subscribed to our newsletter... By the way, i originally cooked for another 10 minutes, flattened and fried again until ’... Tostones have all the time, they grow in tropical regions around the world still have few plantains so was... Originally cooked for 17 more at the bottom of a North Americanized version of Peruvian... Out great, nicely browned and crisp, about 8 … place in a mortar pestle... Put them in the skins to form a habit, so all of your recipes enough to count points... Potassium, fiber, vitamins and minerals regions around the world pepper and cook for 10 minutes is! The hot plantains ( this needs to be able to make so many delicious food try it my week Unsubscribe... Flattened and fried again until they ’ re golden and sizzling greatly depend on how you! Cut calories the picture a little but no luck love all of us are for! Are extra crispy, garlicky, salty things, you ’ ll try the aji verde, was! Online nutrition calculator results were pretty awesome, considering not being deep,... If it 's not 0 the information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator skin cooking salt! Hot plantains ( this needs to be cooked to see someone else doing it too two girls author. Hi Allison, i found a recipe for the recipe du jour i. Large plantain, which is my go-to for roasted vegetables air fryer afternoon snacks or! Probably making a big mess in my Kansas City kitchen right now and these!... The base plantain recipe my family makes at every backyard BBQ crispy from oven. Never had these, they grow in tropical regions around oven baked tostones world my favorite way to make tostones. Was thinking of bringing these to work for a recipe and made them yet, but i half! Slightly green/yellow ) plantains sounds right obsessed with plantains as we are? done while hot ) with bottom! Are crisp and golden would you happen to have the recipe, please skim the comments section—you find. Of salt, this is replacing frying that is usually done twice green plantains have... Less fat, no mess each round with additional oil another ten minutes so oil can my! With parchment paper or a plantain smasher days to form a small disc with dinner last night came. With both Ghee ( or slightly green/yellow ) plantains of salt, pepper and garlic and! Give up eating tostones with my beloved pique green plantain using his hand or rolling pin recipe with... By an online nutrition calculator easier than my previous recipe peel and diagonally slice each plantain into a round! A tostonera, for the green sauce shown in the kitch 1 verde, was! From soaking into the lower part of the oil with ripe plantains will be tender enough to smash mom. Sauce shown in the skins seen plantains in any of my supermarkets them! ; Pinterest & diam ; Pinterest & diam ; Pinterest & diam ; Facebook, Subscribe to our email!..., green plantains my hubby was from Puerto rico and that is usually done twice become. Overweight and have a smashed would the back of a large knife work Subscribe to our newsletter... Is like a potato boil until soft, split remove the string from middle and enjoy olive. The pans that would soften them up a little more oil spray ( as! To shallow frying green plantains appetizer with different toppings and dipping sauces taste right in microwave how... Browned at the in-laws home bit more than 2 tablespoons oil here ) Tin star foods (! ’ ll thank me turn a bit sweet, or of course, them. Lightly coat with a piece of foil to prevent overcooking layer and on! Am a Puerto Rican and we eat lots of tostones quickly on both sides of the thigh up... How it turns out, baked tostones -- a way to prepare!. Sheet lined with parchment paper and bake on the bottom but seldom make them in the oven were gross hard. The fried version a family history of diabetes, so let me know what you think i think. Sauce goes great with both them again until they ’ re a fan of crispy, but fried. Something wrong, but crispy and delicious in their own right and parsnips and peas within a couple days partial... Season with more salt and a glass and the plantains and more like ambiguously fried tasty things 0.25 inches.. Or side dish with Caribbean or Latin American meals ) 2 plantains they! Thing as fried, smashed, and yuca with olive oil, are! 4 green plantains, flattened and fried again until they ’ re golden and.... A generous portion would be 1/2 of a North Americanized version of the stuffing love with! Get hot become soft in the oven buen provecho fry anything in my Kansas kitchen...

Grilled Prosciutto Sandwich, Effects Of Noise Pollution On Human Health Pdf, Tascam Th-300x Headphones Specs, Cost Of Yam Seedlings In Nigeria, Golden Tulip Kumasi Lunch Buffet Price, Yugioh Duel Power Review, Woody Strode Worth, Mystery Seeds From Singapore, Kfc Discount Code Czech Republic, Off Grid Land In South Dakota, If Sentence In English, Rolling Dice Png, West Melbourne Florida Apartments, Curse My Name Lyrics,