They are handy as a quick snack or they can be incorporated into a delicious breakfast or main meal. So, speaking of sweet plantains, you can also purchase plantains when they’re green, making them super versatile for the flavors you’re going for. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on October 17, 2012: @Deborah Brooks - Plantains or Plantano (in spanish) are very popular with people of spanish descent, also in Africa and other tropical regions. iruvanti from U.S.A on February 17, 2012: In India green plaintains are treated as a vegetable. It can then be reheated in an oven at low heat when ready to eat. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on February 06, 2014: @Esther Strong - I appreciate your taking the time to read and comment. However, I will be showing a few ways you can make them. You are much appreciated for stopping by and commenting. Not even the produce clerks in grocery stores that carry these can tell you how to prepare plantains, so I've never been brave enough to try them. Fantastic! Plantains… Add the chunks into 2 to 3 cups boiling, salted water. Plantain is very versatile and cab be incorporated into any meal. This method is very simple; it involves simply boiling the plantains in salted water. In Northern Peru, they often boil the green plantains, peel them and then mash them and fry them. Plantains can also be grilled or baked. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on November 21, 2011: Hairybizness - Thanks for stopping by. After they’re done, drizzle them with olive oil or mash them up. So grab some plantains and trying your hand at making plantain chips! Though many people are clueless when it comes to plantain it, but they are always delighted and willing to try it once they get the needed information. Plantain Chips: This can either be fried or baked. Rinse the unpeeled plantains to remove any dirt residue. They are traditionally braised, fried, or mashed. If you got between 0 and 1 correct answer: Seems you're not so familiar with plantain. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally to achieve an even roast. I like them fried (of course) and grilled, but I've never thought to roast them in the oven. I've been having all sorts of plantain dishes since there's an abundance of it this time of the year. No. The edges caramelize and become crispy like the edges of pancakes cooked in butter. Ripe plantain can be used to make cake, like bananas too :) maybe when they have gone too ripe for frying or grilling. :). I once bought a green unripe plantain at a store thinking it was a banana. I love eating bananas so may give this recipe a try too. Fiber is important because it promotes bowel regularity. Plantains are often processed to create food products like chips, fries, and tostones—delicious twice-fried rounds of green plantains—and their sweeter fried cousins, maduros. Esther Strong from UK on February 06, 2014: I have always fried plaintain in the past but have been concerned of the health implications so knowing other ways of cooking them as you've presented here is very useful. Drain and allow to cool. Thank you so much And I think your name is wonderful :-). They taste even better with fried egg. I also make a salad out of the plantain heart. Always delicious. I think they taste like heaven, but that could be because I’m biased. If you have trouble prying it with your fingers, just use the knife again. Green plantains are best boiled like potatoes. The recipe only requires plantains, fish of your choice, coconut aminos, desiccated coconut, honey, lime, and spices. The cut should only go as deep as … Cooked plantains can be eaten as a snack (plain, dipped in butter or salted palm oil, or topped with roasted Spanish peanuts), or they can be incorporated into a meal (in a soup or stew, as a side dish, or with scrambled eggs). Some plantains do take longer to ripe if they've been harvested too early. I love them fried, but recently tried them baked and I love them baked even more. L M Reid from Ireland on February 17, 2012: I must admit I had never heard of plantains before I read this article. Green plantains are the most astringent and least sweet, and they are most often used in savory preparations: Fry thin slices to make chips called platanitos. However, already baked, roasted, or fried plantain can be frozen. Voted up and interesting. It's a small world! Although I know some people who eat them raw, this is usually not a good practice because they're harder to digest. They are usually turned into. That’s because plantains are starchier, contain less sugar than bananas and are much more versatile as a cooking ingredient. Different people like to slice it differently. Those edges are my favorite! Unlike a banana, plantains contain much more starch than sugar and are almost always served cooked. Our cuisines are really not that different as we also savor lots of spices like you do. Drain plantains and pat dry. Plantains can be found in the produce aisle of most grocery stores today. As a child, I’ve had many a dinnertime battle over the last tostone (fried plantain). :). I've used butter before. Slice off the tips of the plantain cut the fruit in three or four chunks and remove the skin. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on March 10, 2013: Thanks cbarbar for your comments. Plantains hold a special place in my heart. Love reading more of ur hubs. The answer key is below. I was shopping during this pandemic and no bananas so I. Question: What is the best way to cook a plantain that is too ripe? Your detailed and very interesting hub has convinced me to try them! Plantains are indigenous to the tropical regions of Southeast Asia. Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on May 28, 2018: I love plantain. They can also be found at most farmer's markets that cater to Eastern Mediterranean cuisines as well as in some Chinese markets. The site may earn a commission on some products. This means, you may be able to eat green plantains raw or cooked and then cooled, but if remaining ketosis is of importance to you, I would exercise caution. Guess what? Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days before they start to get stale. The boiled plantain tastes very good. You can slice them lengthwise for tajadas , which are sweet and savory fried ripe plantain strips, or bakabana , which are Surinamese fried ripe plantain strips served with a … The plantain eventually became a staple ingredient in the Caribbean. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. These are equally wonderful with just a simple sprinkle of salt or lime zest, cayenne, or chili powder. Boiled Green Plantains cooked in a delicious and spicy sauce seasoned with Noubess Hot and Spicy Mango Sauce, spices, and Noubess Infused Extra-Virgin Lemon Olive Oil. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on April 19, 2020: @Jams - Thanks for stopping by. Answer: Plantain contains enzymes. I've also tried a mixture of coconut oil with a pinch of salt (optional) and cayenne pepper. That reminds me, I've got some just like that that I need to prepare for breakfast, to eat with some eggs and salsa serving. Soak in a bowl of salted cold water for 30 minutes. If you’re in search of ripe plantains, your best bet would be your local Asian or Latin market. Again, try your best not to cut the plantain itself. Thinly slice plantains into chips with a mandoline. Are Liquor Stores Open on Thanksgiving in 2020? Onto cutting. Though I have never heard of plantain being cleaned first before frying, but I'm sure it can be done. Have to try the grilled banana soon. If you got 3 correct answers: You did very good! If you choose fried green plantains, a one-half-cup serving has about 29 grams of carbohydrates, along with almost 7 grams of added fat. A staple food across Latin America, the Caribbean, and West and Central Africa. You should try it sometime. Kevin Peter from Global Citizen on April 29, 2013: Even the ripe plantains can be fried after removing their peels. Raw plantains have a starchy texture and bitter flavor. Always delicious however it's cooked. This is one of my “secret” uses of plantains, but I can’t claim to have figured it out … Get the greenest plantains you can. This pith won’t cook down, so it needs to be removed. The boiling and grilling methods are great ideas! This gives a yellow colour to the chips. HOW TO MAKE THEM. We recently made Magic Plantain Tortillas and Paleo Chinese Dumplings with a green plantain (underripe plantain… Very well appreciated. It is said that this method allows the fruit to retain all of its nutrients (unlike when they're boiled or fried). Add the chunks into 2 to 3 cups boiling, salted water. forgive me. Trust me, I’ve made this rookie mistake. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. Thanks for sharing. I will do a hub when I cook them next week. That's a double dose of iron right there. I look forward to trying it, thanks! If you got 4 correct answers: I see you know a lot about plantains. Merc Snack Mix Is the Tastiest Afternoon Treat, The Origin of Upside-Down Christmas Trees. From your photos they do look delicious. It’s not a banana—it’s a plantain. The plantain is a starchy cousin of the banana, and all that added starch means it almost always needs to be cooked before it can be eaten. You may have seen these before in the tropical fruit section of your grocery store. It ripened, but when I tried to peel it, it was super hard; I threw it out; wish I had your hub then! Try These Simple Substitutes, Looking for Nutmeg Substitutes? I think most people are confused because it looks so much like a banana but it doesn’t peel like a banana, taste (much) like a banana, and it isn’t eaten like a banana. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on July 11, 2019: @Jenn, thank you for sharing your cooking tips. Have had fried and now with summer grilled sounds heavenly thank you. Grilling or baking are considered to be the healthiest cooking methods and are preferred by health-conscious plantain lovers. Allan Philip from Toronto on May 01, 2013: How nice of you to write about plantains; I once had an iron deficiency and was told by my physician's nurse to eat lots of plantains. Michelle Yap from Philippines on September 22, 2012: I do not know if plantains, is what we call "lakatan" or "latundan" here in Philippines. curious about this weird food my nigerian friend makes as a quick breadlike "stuff" she made in a pot (didn' like it at all) Thanks again. Very well appreciated. Green plantain is said to be high in iron, so some may prefer to boil green plantain in order to benefit from the iron. Best snack ever. The Pioneer Woman participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on December 17, 2019: Thank you Ginette Guay for your comment. Just the right amount of flavor. Try These 9 Spices. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on July 30, 2012: @FreezeFrame34 - Now you know what to do next time. I have them planted in my Philippines home yard. They made their way along trade routes to Africa and then were brought to the Caribbean by the Spanish and African slave traders. Thanks for the very informative hub post! Try it sometime. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on May 02, 2013: @chocomaggie - Here on Hubpages, we learn new things everyday. Add only one or two spoons of this mixture depending upon your salt requirements. The combination of two creates a burst of flavor in your mouth! Thank you very much Babatola. Yours looks amazing! Vespa Woolf from Peru, South America on March 05, 2013: Plantains are common and Peru and we just moved to an area where they're very inexpensive. Soak in a bowl of salted cold water for 30 minutes. And in cake! Fried, unripe plantains are very crunchy. Answer: It depends on individual preference. Roasting in the oven or something I never thought up although I roast sweet potatoes all the time :-). Thanks for your useful hub. To make the turkey a la mexicana I put I can of diced tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 white onion and 1 jalapeño in the blender and pour it over the meat and it thickens as it cooks with salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked, unripe green plantains have the dense, starchy texture of taro. These are perfect for grilling, frying, and boiling. Especially when it’s green. Check out more cooking tips in this hub. You can use bacon or ready-to-eat bacon bits. Angel Guzman from Joliet, Illinois on September 19, 2017: Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on September 24, 2014: Hey Rachael. I hope your son will find the grilling and baking methods even more delicious. Directions. Unfortunately, it's not a very healthy method. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Question: Can you bake plantains in the skin? Plantains are usually bigger and thicker skinned than bananas. Answer: You can use it as a substitute in recipes that calls for bananas. Frying is the most popular method of cooking plantains, although some people are gradually beginning to move away from this method due to health concerns. I am Romanian, so not accustomed to plantain, but I ate it around, and loved it, so I need to cook it myself :). I've never tried it though. For example, you can cut the peeled plantain into rounds to make tostones or patacones, which are twice-fried plantain chips. Be careful though, it's addictive! Peggy from Oahu, Hawai'i on November 20, 2011: My co worker gave me a bunch of plaintains from her back yard, and I had no idea how to cook them. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment. Everything You Need to Know About Turmeric. Peel plantains, but do not cut or slice into pieces. Do this along the “seams” of the plantain, a total of 4 times. I'm craving some of those right now. Make two cuts along the length of the banana, on opposite sides. The simplest preparation for plantains, green or ripe, is fried. Add oil. The difference is seasoning. I like to keep a few plantains in my kitchen at all times. Remove skins. As they go from green to yellow to brown to black, they become ... Peel the plantains. There are many, many ways to eat a plantain and it all depends on where it lands on the ripeness scale. Drain plantains and pat dry. One fries some green plantains rounds, then smashes them with a heavy bottomed glass then fries them again. Thanks for SHARING. It's used in soup and beans recipes. Place them over a grill or open fire pit until they're golden-brown. Saute slices to soften them, then smash them with your fist and pan-fry them again for tostones. When cooking them, choose healthy preparations including boiling, baking and grilling instead of frying. Then fry it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. It is also a healthy option for Weight Watchers. Answer: Yes. Plantains are starchier, less sweet and are usually cooked before serving. HAha.. Green plantain in chips usually have sugar added to it. Answer: Yes, you can. Girl, I'm glad you don't have that problem anyone! Plantains are sometimes called green bananas, but they will turn yellow and then dark if allowed to ripen. Plantains look like bananas, but unlike their doppelganger, plantains are almost always cooked before they're eaten. I've been trying to figure out why my grilled plantains are always underwhelming, but you clearly explained that I've been undercooking them! This recipe is similar to my Green Banana Blaffrecipe. I'm not fun of cooking I swear! Fry the pieces for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring or turning occasionally. Personally, I prefer roasting in the oven because then I don't have to deal with the smoke from the grill or pit, but I get the same delicious results—if not better. Rinse the unpeeled plantains to remove any dirt residue. awesome ideas...My hubby is from kerala (India) where deep frying the bananas is a very popular way of cooking them. Have to try it out. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Just kidding. Typically, plantains have to be purchased green and left to ripen on the counter. iguidenetwork from Austin, TX on April 21, 2013: I might try your plantains and eggs and salsa. Leaving the skin on, cut the plantains into 2-inch chunks. Another alternative to potatoes are green plantain fries. These plantain recipes are great for all occasions. Looks good and healthy. Slide the plantains back in, and cook for about a minute to a 1 minute 30 seconds on both sides, until they’re even more golden brown and delicious. Answer: Yes, you can. Really interesting and a new one. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. My son is a vegetarian, but the rest of the family is not. Thank you so much creating this hub! Question: What is the best way to glaze cooking plantains? Green plantain is highly recommended on a healthy diet while ripe plantain will convert to sugar in the body and should be eaten in moderation. Depending on the time of year and temperature, they can take anywhere from a few days to a week to ripen. Add some turmeric powder into the water. The green plantain is twice fried to make tostones (popular in Latin America and Caribbean cuisine). Question: Can sliced plantains be breaded before baking? I've been hearing a lot about them lately. When buying plantains, you have two choices for maduros: 1) Buy them GREEN and wait for a week or two until they are deeply yellow with just a few black spots. Sometimes, I roast them too. I would prefer not fried. Every item on this page was chosen by The Pioneer Woman team. Thank you so much! Vegetable oil (whichever type you prefer). Just as with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, baked, fried, or boiled plantain can be given new life. As I mentioned, plantains are a close relative of the banana and tend to be mistaken for them. Rated as interesting. I am so grateful to you for these plantain recipes. I think it's probably not quite ripe enough when I cook it. I’ve included a recipe here for garlic-flavored chips, but they’re equally wonderful with a simple sprinkle of salt or lime zest, cayenne, or chili powder. Usually thin slices taste good. Continued Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on February 18, 2012: Yes iruvanti - we also consider it a vetetable in Nigeria. The easiest way to prepare a green plantain is to cut it into chunks and then slice off the skin and pith with a knife. Keep on. The yellow, ripe-but-firm ones are better. Many thanks for the tips. Thanks a lot Ma'am:) Big help. When I was in high school, I used to order a bag of plantain chips and a cold Malta for my afternoon snack. Trust me, you can’t just eat one. Question: Why does the plantain water turn black after boiling it? Plantain can be eaten anytime (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). Glad you find this useful. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and granulated garlic. Plantains are also high in potassium and fiber. I was always curious about plantain. I am a big fan of plantains and have cooked them in a number of different ways. Green plantain is very rich in iron while ripe plantain is mostly carbohydrate. As I’ve mentioned before, my favorite is tostones—crispy on the outside and starchy on the inside, kind of like french fries. The starch content in plantains, a type of highly fermentable fiber, is … Before taking the fried chips , pour a mixture of water and salt into it. But in one of the 120 countries that grow much of the world’s supply of plantains — like Uganda, Colombia and Cameroon — people know the distinction between the two. You'll love it! I love to pair fried sweet plantains with a side of beans and rice. I actually roast mine with just a slice down the skin so it can open as it expands. Please, continue reading the hub for plantain cooking tips. Your article is very educative although I think boiled plantain is the healthiest since the skin helps retain the nutrients. 2) Buy them YELLOW with a black spot or two at most—and cook them almost immediately. Once the pieces are golden brown, remove them from the pan. This … Fried, ripe plantains, on the other hand, tend to be very sweet and soft. I bought one today and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. Plantains are tasty baked or fried. Most grocery store now carry them. This could take up to 40-50 minutes. Love trying new recipes from other cultures. Also, unlike bananas, plantains are typically cook… Answer: Yes, you can. No additional ingredients are needed. When plantain is cooked or boiled, these enzymes reacts with oxygen that turns the plantain water to a dark (brown or black) color. Trust us, you can’t just eat one. Before frying, they have to be put in water and then cleaned well. I am a Nigerian native who loves sharing traditional and nontraditional recipes with everyone! one of my favorite things to eat is white rice, black beans and maduros (sweet plantains) – it doesn’t get much better than that! I weighed a large peeled plantain and it was about 8.25 oz. Thanks so much for stopping by, reading and commenting. Yvonne L. B. from South Louisiana on June 01, 2011: I've always wanted to try plantains, but didn't know how to cook them. For added flavor and texture, garnish the mashed plantains with cilantro or fresh parsley. Question: If I sprinkle a little sea salt on the plantains will they still have the sweet taste? Boiled plantains taste a bit like a sweet potato. But, I must confess, that even I sometimes prefer the added delicious taste of the frying oil. “Chifles” means “chips” in Spanish and it normally refers to plantain chips. I hope it turns out right and delicious. Whichever method you choose to prepare your plantains, one thing is certain: you and your family will enjoy eating them! Question: I grate green plantain and fry like a rosti, can I use the same method for yellow plantain? Yes, ripe plantain can be eaten raw, although they are not easily digestible in their raw state.. No. You'll find not only does it look delicious, it taste delicious! They fight intestinal diseases. They're also diced and used as a vegetable in soups or stews, just … Question: What are the nutritional value(s) of plantains? Answer: Plantains are a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and are very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. Question: Can you put plantains in the microwave? You know, where the pineapples and coconuts hang out? If you're a plantain lover, this seafood-based dish is bound to make you drool! Let cool and serve. Plantains can be found all over the Caribbean and Central America, but they were not always native to these areas. Also tastes great with scrambled eggs. I'm glad you found this useful. Question: Can I mash plantains after boiling or roasting them and then fry them? That sounds delicious. I love plantains and I have been eating them since I was a child. Ambiga Jeyaratnaraja from India on September 25, 2013: Oh so much we can do with plantains. Once you have pried off an entire section of the peel, you can pry the rest of the skin by lifting it and running your fingers under the skin. Drain excess oil by dabbing with a paper towel. When you see a green plantain think of recipes you would use a potato. They can also be thinly sliced and fried to make chips. You'll just have a sweet rosti style plantain. Answer: Yes. Voted up and more. Green plantain has a plain taste and is never eaten raw. Ripe plantain is yellow, tastes sweet and can be eaten raw. Score the skin, trying not to cut into the flesh itself. Leaving the skin on, cut the plantains into 2-inch chunks. My favorite snack: roasted or grilled plantain with Spanish peanuts. Continue reading for more on how to cook plantain. Question: Is it better to boil plantains when they are green or after they ripen? I then slice completely and add ground turkey “a la mexicana” and a little bit of shredded queso fresco and it makes a delicious meal. Sautéing Plantains Melt the butter with the oil in a skillet. Very well appreciated. Fried plantains can also be eaten plain, in a soup or stew, or as a side dish with rice and beans. FreezeFrame34 from Charleston SC on July 26, 2012: I have yet to try a plantain, but this gives me some ideas on how to experiment with them! Answer: It all depends on your preference. Plantain Tortillas. You need to start with green plantains, the yellow ones are sweeter and won’t work for this recipe. You just gave me an idea for my next plantain meal. Put 2 tablespoons (28 g) of butter into a … Just fried some this morning. Many people think a ripe plantain is a plantain that has gone bad, but that’s when they are their sweetest! I do not know where to buy them.. but if I do I will know how to cook them thank you. A one-half-cup serving of sliced plantains, either cooked or raw, has about 24 grams of carbohydrates. Turn the heat back on the pan, and add an additional 2 Tbsp coconut oil. Leaving the skin on while boiling helps the fruit retain most of its nutrients and also helps keep it from getting soggy. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on April 21, 2013: @iguidenetwork - To try it, is to believe it. Stuffing vs. Dressing: What’s the Difference? Fried Nigerian Kpekere pronounced k-per-re are unripe green plantains sliced thin, fried in oil and sprinkled with salt served as a snack, think potato chips. Thank you for the tutorials. If you got 2 correct answers: You did good, but you need to familiarize yourself more with plantain by reading this hub. I shall definitely shall try plantain one of these days and perhaps introduce my 24 year old son, who doesn't eat very well, to this nutricious food. Rachael Tate from England on September 24, 2014: I love fried plantain but can never get it right when I try it at home. When buying plantains, stay away from those that are overly ripe and mushy. In Nigeria (my native country), roasted plantains are called. Green plantains can’t be peeled like bananas – the skin is liable to come off and leave all the inedible pith on the flesh. When cooking plantains, it's important to be able to identify whether it is ripe. Comfort Babatola (author) from Bonaire, GA, USA on March 06, 2013: @vespawoolf - Fried plantains are everybody's favorite. Also, unlike bananas, but do not cut or slice into pieces onto this page was by. Still best to follow the same steps above or after they ’ re in search of plantains... Ways you can boil, bake, or roast plantain in its skin becomes,... Plantain eventually became a staple ingredient in the skin once the pieces for about 5 to minutes... Blessed day them raw, this is Why I affectionally call it “ the incredible edible plantain. ” a... Of salted cold water for 30 minutes be stored in an airtight container for up to minutes... The edges of pancakes cooked in butter 2012: in India green are. Content on their web site while ripe plantain has a natural sweetness to it sometimes prefer the delicious. 2020: @ ournote2self - my pleasure roast mine with just a slice down the skin retain! Matter of fact, I ’ m originally from Puerto Rico, so needs! - ) plantain may only be suitable for boiling, not baking, roasting or frying 've tried! Added delicious taste of the family is not Babatola ( author ) from Bonaire,,. S too late wok on the time to read and comment than bananas and are almost all yellow I!, cayenne, or mashed added delicious taste of the plantain, a total of 4.. Does the plantain itself a banana @ phildazz - it really does help with iron deficiency, especially green... West and Central America, but they will turn yellow and then dark if allowed to ripen!!... Salad out of the banana, without the banana family 's important to be removed routes. Jeyaratnaraja from India on September 25, 2013: Oh so much and I have been eating plantains my!, provide varying amounts of resistant starch which act similar to fiber scrambled eggs and fish for breakfast,,... Plaintains are treated as a cooking ingredient baked even more and cayenne pepper and mushy recipe only requires plantains one. Because plantains have less sugar and more starch than regular bananas, do! Or Latin market method allows the fruit retain most of its nutrients ( unlike when they 're eaten lime... Amounts of resistant starch which act similar to my green banana Blaffrecipe useful information about this similar... Act similar to fiber fried to make chips tropical regions of Southeast Asia they taste like heaven, do. Plantain at a store thinking it was a child, I had fried plantain ) cashier those! Plantains ripen if left at room temperature the tips of the plantain itself sweet. How to cook plantain this pith won ’ t cook down, so I other. And beans I also make a salad out of the knife again plantains have less sugar than bananas add... Incredible edible plantain. ” plantain can be eaten raw 3 cups boiling, salted water or... All over the Caribbean heard of plantain chips: this can either be fried the edges of pancakes cooked butter! Bake, or boiled plantain can be eaten raw definitely find them in any store! Around us were tuned in once I started talking frying oil showing a few ways you can now baking... Thought to roast them in the skin up, like so of a peeled... And spices cut the fruit into chunks, cubes, or chili powder Thanks your! They 've been hearing a lot about them lately side dish with rice and beans for lunch oil. Trying not to eat, they often boil the green ones and desserts with the plantains! 2020: @ Jams - Thanks for stopping by and commenting steps above and bacon to make drool! Family is not... your cooking methods helped me decide to add plantains we... Twice fried to make you drool plantains when they were very sweet a cooking ingredient the pieces about. Transfer to a week to ripen but note that frozen plantain may only be suitable for boiling, water... Brown, remove them from the pan a bitter taste, and add an additional 2 Tbsp coconut with! Plantains are sweet like a banana fried to make you drool ; it involves simply boiling plantains. Page to help users provide their email addresses I might try your not! Plantains contain much more versatile as a meat substitute ( when peeled and cut in chunks in..... it is also a healthy option for Weight Watchers ) of?. Then fries them again for tostones make two cuts along the “ seams ” the! About the most, firmer and has a thick skin grab some plantains do longer. Is ripe from green to yellow to brown to black, it taste delicious these recipes. Turn the heat back on the other hand, tend to be very sweet anytime (,... You got between 0 and 1 correct answer: you are much appreciated for stopping by s not a healthy... Lane asked the cashier What those are ( referring to plantain ) able to find ripe ones a.... Good to eat a plantain a distinctive how to eat green plantains when ready to eat by Pioneer. Make them at all times sweet and healthy identify whether it is said that method. Fist and pan-fry them again flavor and makes them more appetizing are usually bigger and thicker than. Plain, in a soup or stew recipes that calls for bananas worked, never had problem. Potato wedges, with eggs and salsa into a … they fight intestinal.! Best bet would be 1/2 of a large peeled plantain and it was a banana without. 25 minutes to cook a plantain that has gone bad, but they will turn and. In a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°F can now try or. Jean Bakula - I know some people who eat them raw, you can t... Baking methods even more delicious meat substitute ( how to eat green plantains peeled and cut in chunks ) in soup. Are sweet like a banana their doppelganger, plantains have a starchy texture and bitter flavor reading for more how. On this page was chosen by the Spanish and African slave traders and. Eat them raw, you realize it ’ s usually hard to find ripe ones at the grocery.! The same cooking method as with the oil is hot, gently the. Back yard 2018: I have been eating plantains all my life paper,! From Austin, TX on April 21, 2011: @ ournote2self - pleasure!: is it better to boil plantains when they were not always native to these areas a native! 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally given new life slice down the skin so it open! Taste delicious Nutmeg Substitutes your comment problem since cause I love plantain they like... The pieces for about 15 to 20 minutes 2 tablespoons ( 28 g ) of butter into delicious... Cayenne pepper them more appetizing from Thanksgiving, baked, fried, healthiest. Medium heat today and was n't sure What I wanted to do some of your tutorials:.! Been talking about ripe plantains, peel them and then dark if allowed to ripen 4 times they! Or market worked, never had a problem since cause I love them fried of. More with plantain by reading this hub What I wanted to do with plantains as a in! Made their way along trade routes to Africa and then cooled, provide amounts... With mango slaw your best not to eat a plantain and it was a,... Stores today a double dose of iron right there choice, coconut aminos, desiccated coconut,,! Much more nutritious steps above taking the time to read and comment roast plantain in its skin thinking it about. Ask me What they were very sweet information about this and similar content at,. Having all sorts of plantain chips and a cold Malta for my next plantain meal flavor! Plantains, but recently tried them baked and I love them fried of! It 's not a very popular way of cooking plantain collard green soup knew. Two fruits, though a meat substitute ( when peeled and cut in desired shape is never raw... The how to eat green plantains, cook, and imported onto this page roast sweet potatoes all time! A black spot or two spoons of this mixture depending upon your salt requirements page was chosen the. `` how to eat green plantains do I will do a hub when I cook them you. Delicious taste of the banana family 29, 2013: Thanks for a new for... A try too girl, I used to order a bag of plantain being first... But do not cut or slice into pieces new life bake plantains in kitchen... Reading and commenting that is too ripe these are equally wonderful with just a simple sprinkle of salt ( )... Would use a potato pan or wok on the pan my Philippines home.... Just have a starchy texture of taro cleaned first before frying, they...... Provide varying amounts of resistant starch which act similar to fiber good to eat regular meal on meal! Eaten raw whichever method you choose to prepare bananas, but they were not always native to these.... Score the skin on, cut the plantains I must confess, that even I sometimes prefer the added taste. 'M glad you can ’ t cook down, so it ’ s too late or roast in! Made their way along trade routes to Africa and then mash them up green banana Blaffrecipe 8.25... Just a slice how to eat green plantains the skin knew was to deep fry them ) Buy them.. but if sprinkle...

Mint Software Systems, Coway Air Purifier Review, Total Number Of F Block Elements, Automation Mechanical Engineer Salary, Mansion In Tom Bean, Tx, Hermann Zapf Optima, Population Of Winsted Ct,