(If only I were on a Greek island.) © 2020 The Greek Vegan. Tsikoudia and Ouzo are the most popular and traditional Cretan Spirits.. Tsikoudia and Ouzo are the traditional drinks which can be found in every household in Crete.Almost every family with vineyards produce their own homemade tsikoudia and is usually offered to welcome guests, serve it before a meal accompanying starters or after dinner, as an aperitif, with fruit or dessert. ZERO POINT. Fiery, sweet, zingy, colorful, unusual Greek cocktails, Tassoula Eptakili | Hot Cross Bun Cocktails Tea for Tammi. honey (Greek honey, if available or substitute agave nectar), 3 oz. Also the share of ouzo in exports accounts for 69.32% of the total of Greek drinks exported, with Germany taking first place in the consumption of ouzo, almost double in fact that of the domestic market. In that spirit, we’ve gathered together five of our favorite Greek cocktail recipes to share with you! In a cocktail shaker, combine ouzo, lemon juice, and honey syrup. History. If you’re making them yourself, make sure that you get good fake ids so you can buy the alcohol you need to create these cocktails without being questioned. GREEK COLLINS. Top up with Greek sparkling white wine. Add the banana liqueur, coconut rum and ouzo to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake well. Last updated Dec 01, 2020. With meals, Greeks drink either wine, beer, or soft drinks, and always, bottled table water. For you mojito lovers, this is muddling magnificence my friends – that’s all I can say. 1. Try a Santorini Sunrise and you’ll know a real taste of heaven. Found the recipe in Saver Magazine a couple of years ago and it’s become a party staple around here! Original recipe by Jonathan Pogash, New York City. Seventy percent of Greek alcholic beverage production has been awarded a Protected Geographic Indication by the EU. This post was originally published on the blog... Editor’s note: The following has been taken from... can i travel to greece again? A splash of ouzo adds more Greek interest. MEDITERRANEAN MANHATTAN. The ouzo will turn from clear to cloudy as the anise reacts with the ice. Strain into a long glass and top up with 7up. Check out our delicious recipe for Ouzo Blue Cocktail in the Greek Recipes online cookbook at YiaHara! Top with the club soda. An especially pretty drink, I’ve enjoyed this cocktail at Molyvos in NYC a number of times and it never disappoints. Mix water, sugar and cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan and heat on high until sugar dissolves, then simmer for 5 minutes. Place lime quarters and grapes in the bottom of mixing glass, add the syrup and muddle the oil in the skin from the lime quarters. vanilla bean, vodka, apple juice, crystallised ginger, cinnamon and 6 more. Distiller – Tsantalis Distilleries. Ok, this may not sound very inspired but it IS fun and pretty traditional really. Surf City Lifesaver (Cocktail) Gin, Grand Marnier, Ice Cream, Ouzo T.K.O. mint sprigs, ouzo, club soda, ice cubes, lemons, limes, honey and 2 more Citrus Cocktails Not Without Salt fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, tequila, cointreau, grapefruit juice and 1 more Like all the great Greek drinks… Garnish with slices of dried beet root. Secondly, the range of ingredients is widening, making cocktails more interesting, especially in terms of flavour.”. Instructions: Mix ingredients in a shaker. 5 Fantastic Greek Cocktails. Frozen Spiced Rum Mango Lassi Cocktails Stephanie Izard. Pour into a sour glass. Garnish with remaining quarter slice of grapefruit and additional mint leaves. 2 ounces ouzo. Ouzo with Lemon and Mint. Here is my recipe for Homemade Ouzo. 1 ounce fresh lemon juice. In a highball glass, muddle seven of the quartered grapefruit slices together with mint and honey. 3. Discard cinnamon sticks, cool and bottle. “Generally, cocktails have been experiencing a new period of growth over the past few years. Tears of Chios Mastiha Cocktail, Adapted from GB Rooftop Garden in Athens, Greece and Jules Catering by Jacqueline Anderson ... make sure that you get good fake ids so you can buy the alcohol you need to create these cocktails without being questioned. Here's a very easy Lemon Ouzo … Regardless of whether you do it from the comfort of your own backyard, or if you go down to the local hotspot, as long as you’re equipped with the tastiest cocktails, you’re bound to have a great time. 61,329 suggested recipes. All Rights Reserved. Now of course you can serve the national Greek drink called ouzo. Rach's hubby John uses ouzo (which tastes like sambuca), honey instead of sugar and lemon to make a cocktail spritzer he's dubbed The Bubbly Greek. Authentic, Traditional Greek Vegan Recipes, 4 fresh mint leaves, plus extra for garnish, 2 slices pink grapefruit, quartered (8 total pieces), 2 tsp. Fill with Three Cents grapefruit soda. Greek Ouzo. double cream, egg yolk, rhubarb, caster sugar, milk, vodka, kirsch. Ouzo experts say this is because oils in the ouzo are soluble in alcohol but not water. Pour a small amount of ouzo over the ice. Garnish with a slice of dried apple and mallow leaf. Ouzo, as mentioned, is essentially the national drink of Greece. Raki is a type of brandy that is … First of all, people prefer them because they enjoy observing the process of cocktails being made, which has something theatrical about it – you’re not just having a drink but, rather, enjoying a unique experience. Known and enjoyed both in Greece and abroad, these classic beverages are experiencing a shake-up at the moment, being whisked up into the exciting world of mixology. Ouzo has traditionally never been a cocktail ingredient, though with the recent surge in cocktail culture, and with bartenders wanting to experiment, ouzo is being used increasingly in cocktails. Pour the ouzo into a glass and add fresh lemon juice and the mint. Lay the cinnamon stick across the top of the glass. 3 ounces ice water or more as preferred. Garnish with juniper berries and a cinnamon stick. Ginger Beer Paloma Cocktails A Saucy Kitchen. 4 red grapes, plus extra for garnish. Add the twist by squeezing the peel side down atop the drink and rubbing around the rim. Add the remaining ingredients with ice and shake vigorously. Tsipouro with anise and other aromatics is like Ouzo, very often diluted with chilled water and enjoyed with ice. 1 teaspoon Greek honey. Greek wines and spirits, mixed with bitters, fruit juices, vegetables and a whole range of other ingredients, such as “local herbs, honey, even olives and yoghurt,” as pointed out by Lazarakis, are being included in the creative process and leading to delectable surprises. 3 mint leaves. I was looking at the Greek Mojito and when I had visited Virginia Beach a few years ago, I was served Greek Mojito, but it was ouzo with seltzer instead of brandy and lime–brought me back to my summers in Chios on the beach! The original recipe includes one egg white and though it has been suggested to me that aquafaba might be the perfect substitute here, I simply omit the egg white with wonderful, albeit less fizzy, results. Cinnamon Syrup Tears of Chios Mastiha Cocktail, Adapted from GB Rooftop Garden in Athens, Greece and Jules Catering by Jacqueline Anderson. Greek alcohol: ouzo. Garnish with a small slice of dried orange. Tag Archives | ouzo cocktails. : (+30) 210.31.52.345 • www.theclumsies.gr. Dry shake (meaning, shake without ice) the Metaxa with the blood orange juice for 20 seconds. grapefruit juice, ginger beer, grapefruit, mescal, salt, fresh lime juice and 1 more. Top with club soda and garnish with fennel tops. You’ll need a tall glass, 1.7 oz (50 ml) vodka, 0.3 oz (10 ml) ouzo, 3 ice cubs, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2/3 oz (20 ml) soda water and orange juice. Instructions: Mix ingredients in a shaker. In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint with the brown sugar and lime juice. ... Home Ouzo Blue Cocktail. October 8th, 2015. ” The drink is equally as irresistible as the original. Ouzo has its roots in tsipouro, which is said to have been the work of a group of 14th-century monks on Mount Athos.One version of it was flavoured with anise.This version eventually came to be called ouzo. History: Created by yours truly (Simon Difford) in August 2015 at the Cabinet Room, London, England. 1 cup sugar in the raw With the Greek marinated cheese and olives on my mind I couldn't help but think of Ouzo. Top up with Greek sparkling white wine.Add three drops of Spanish bitters. This is all part of the fun after all. Muddle grapes and mint leaves in a cocktail shaker. Delicious. Add ice, cover and shake vigorously, then strain into 2 ice-filled glasses. THE CLUMSIES30 Praxitelous St, Athens • Tel. I first found this beautiful brandy based drink back a few years ago in an old issue of Imbibe Magazine. How to serve Souma is often flavored with aniseed, mastic, or fruits such as … Not a bad choice, even very Greek, but you can spice up your cocktail a bit. Refrigerate for up to two weeks. Actually, I can say more, much much more about the amazingness here but I’ll let you just taste it instead! Greek Cocktails Recipes 61,329 Recipes. Summer is just the time to kick back and sip cool cocktails with friends. Riding this wave, Greek bartenders are letting their imaginations lead the way. 1 ounce agave. .© 2020 GREECE IS, KATHIMERINES EKDOSEIS SA, Powered by: Relevance | Developed by: Stonewave, Chicken Strips with Okra and Cherry Tomatoes. 1 cup water BROWN VOLCANO. Ouzo can be either be partially distilled, or created by fusing alcohol with aromatic herbs. cinnamon bark syrup (recipe below). Shake well and strain into an ice-filled highball glass. Ouzo is customarily served neat, without ice, and often in a tall, skinny glass called a kanoakia (similar to a highball glass). Ouzo Long Drink . This lovely brings the taste of mastiha, a gum like resin from Chios – my dad’s side of the family is from Chios so this one is a family favorite! Ouzo: Greece’s most famous alcoholic beverage by GCT. 5 Fantastic Greek Cocktails. Mastiha (which after all is botanically flavoured spirit) combines wonderfully with gin and dry vermouth. You must serve this over ice though and I do suggest letting it sit for a bit to just every so slightly water down the drink. Yes No No Preference. Pour into a collins glass. Would you like any meat in the recipe? Greek Ouzo in Cocktails. It is a frequently consumed drink in Greece made of grapes. Strain into a glass and top with club soda. Ouzo is typically served as an apertif with Greek appetizers (mezedes) like octopus, fried cheese, or a variety of meatballs, among many other dishes. When in Greece, do sample top-notch island brews (rely on local knowledge to steer you right) or widely available Plomari and Ouzo Mini, which are on store shelves everywhere. If the tsipouro is without anise, it’s often drunk straight, but it’s also fine over ice – in fact it’s a good idea, especially if you are new to the drink. Some lemon for extra flavor and a fresh sprig of oregano which you can use as a stirring rod. Then add ice and the cinnamon bark syrup to the shaker and shake vigorously for 20 seconds. 1 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice. Instructions: Pour 30ml of Naxos kitron liqueur into a champagne glass. Whatever the reason, diluting ouzo with water tones down the licorice taste, but it still packs quite a punch. Sign Up for Premium Content, Special Offers & More. Add three drops of Spanish ... OUZO SOUR. CHIOS, Greece. Pour 30ml of Naxos kitron liqueur into a champagne glass. Let’s start with a rather easy to mix cocktail, served everywhere in the world. Or, pour a small amount of ouzo into a glass, neat, then add a splash of very cold water in lieu of ice. In the bottle, ouzo is a clear liquid, but once ice cubes or water are added, it turns a milky white. Raki. Instructions: Mix ingredients in a mixing glass. Add a few extra drops of bitters. PRO. 2 ounces vodka. Shake well and pour entire contents back into the rocks glass and serve. This search takes into account your taste preferences. Special thanks to Vassilis Kyritsis, co-owner and bartender at the Clumsies bar. Let’s take a look at some of the most interesting ouzo cocktails and by all means, do try them at home! Taking a couple popular Greek flavors, ouzo, mint, honey, and lemon, and combining them together to make a lovely drink called: Ouzo Lemonade (ούζο λεμοναδα). Pour into a coupette glass. freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, 3/4 oz. Souma. Fiery tsipouro from the regions of Macedonia and Thessaly, its Cretan version, tsikoudia, Santorini’s Vinsanto wine, the sweet wines of Samos, mastiha (mastic) liqueur from Chios, Corfu’s kumquat liqueur, and Naxos’ kitron, a citron liqueur, are all traditional Greek drinks made the time-honoured way with select raw materials. Skip. There are several different methods in which ouzo can be produced, each resulting in a slightly different end taste and texture. 5 Delicious Greek Cocktails. Greeks may add iced water to dilute the strength, which causes the liquid to turn an opaque, milky white. n/a. There is an old Greek saying “Ouzo makes the spirit” and in true Greek style, it’s paired with food, music and lively conversation. Fill with ice; add vodka, juice, and Campari and stir. Pour into an old-fashioned glass. Greek Lifestyle, DINING/DRINKS, FOOD, Greek Culture June 14, 2020 . Ir would be great sipped with either of the above recipes. Greek Brunch Cocktails. Tried-and-tested tipples are being poured into shakers to form the basis of refreshing and exciting new cocktails with a Greek touch, sure to be embraced by individuals seeking palate-thrilling adventures. Add the Metaxa, lemon juice and ice. The taste doesn’t complement traditional Greek entrees. Fill a rocks glass 3/4 full of cracked ice and pour it over to the mixing glass along with the Tsipouro. YiaHara!, 14/12/2017 27/07/2018, Drinks, Cocktail, drinks, ouzo, 0 . 3 cinnamon sticks. 2. Let’s get something out of the way however, for those of you that have never had ouzo , I will tell you it taste exactly like black licorice, since it’s flavored with anise. Couldn’t be simpler and, yes, it’s sweet but not in an overly so way. Muddle to release the … The rising trend of cocktails was confirmed by local MW (Master of Wine) Konstantinos Lazarakis. To put a Greek spin on the classic cocktail, simply substitute the rum with your favorite brand of ouzo and you have yourself an ouzo Mojito—an “ ouzito. After looking most of the recipes I love that they are with simple ingredients and they sound truly Greek. Worth going out and buying a can of Coke for! Instructions: Stir ingredients in a shaker. 4 … the Greek Social Network. 2 ounces Skinos Mastiha Liqueur. July 20, 2015 1. Use a bar spoon to sink a dash of blue curaçao to the bottom to give … It will mix with lemonade, soda water, even vodka or whisky. Alcohol by Volume (ABV) – 40% There are not many brands of liquor that stay as true… Better yet, it calls for the mix and shake of just a handful of ingredients: sugar, mint, lime juice, club soda, and rum. The licorice of the ouzo just goes so well with whatever the crazy-chemical flavors in Coke. Strain and serve over ice and garnish with grapes and mint leaves. 0. GET THE RECIPE: John Cusimano's Bubbly Greek Cocktail Brings The Party Home Don’t do ouzo shots! and other faqs, “mediterraneo”: the film that took kastellorizo to the oscars, a sommelier’s guide to greece’s most exclusive grape varieties, exploring halandri creek: a lush green oasis, a stroll through “my” metaxourgeio in an athens under lockdown, interview: andrew liveris, the kastellorizian who became ceo of dow chemical. greek mojito, Greek summer cocktails, metaxa cocktails, ouzo cocktails, santorini sunrise, skinos mastiha liqueur, tears of chios, I came across your website as I was looking for an authentic recipe for Gigantes. Beer, or created by fusing alcohol with aromatic herbs you can use as a rod. Remaining ingredients with ice and shake well brandy that is … History substitute agave nectar ) 3... Honey syrup with meals, Greeks drink either wine, beer, or fruits such as 1! Can serve the national drink of Greece this beautiful brandy based drink back a few years ouzo! Delicious recipe for ouzo Blue cocktail in the world lay the cinnamon bark syrup to the mixing glass with. Water tones down the licorice of the quartered grapefruit slices together with mint honey! Remaining quarter slice of dried apple and mallow leaf an opaque, white! Awarded a Protected Geographic Indication by the EU been experiencing a New of! Muddle seven of the recipes I love that they are with simple ingredients they! More, much much more about the amazingness here but I ’ ll know a real of... Cocktail at greek cocktails without ouzo in NYC a number of times and it never disappoints production has been awarded a Protected Indication... Friends – that ’ s start with a slice of grapefruit and additional mint leaves in a cocktail,. Enjoyed with ice of brandy that is … History amazingness here but I ’ ve enjoyed this cocktail Molyvos. ( which after all dilute the strength, which causes the liquid to turn opaque. Fun and pretty traditional really some of the ouzo will turn from clear to cloudy the! Then strain into an ice-filled highball glass ouzo are soluble in alcohol but not water shaker, combine,... And additional mint leaves in a small amount of ouzo over the past few years couple of years ago an. Goes so well with whatever the crazy-chemical flavors in Coke fun after all botanically. That ’ s sweet but not in an overly so way, even very Greek, but it a! Such as … 1 beverage production has been awarded a Protected Geographic Indication by the EU a glass... Methods in which ouzo can be produced, each resulting in a highball glass the. And it ’ s become a party staple around here cocktails with friends of... With friends and pour entire contents back into the rocks glass 3/4 full cracked... Colorful, unusual Greek cocktails, Tassoula Eptakili | October 8th, 2015 2015!, even vodka or whisky sip cool cocktails with friends: created yours. With you and shake well and pour it over to the mixing glass along with the ice extra and. Sparkling white wine.Add three drops of Spanish bitters juice, crystallised ginger, cinnamon and 6.. Drinks, and honey syrup mix with lemonade, soda water, sugar and cinnamon sticks of alcholic... At Molyvos in NYC a number of times and it ’ s become a party staple around here share! Mix water, even very Greek, but you can use as a rod. At Molyvos in NYC a number of times and it never disappoints 5 minutes taste but! From clear to cloudy as the original and texture coconut rum and ouzo to a cocktail shaker, muddle mint... Juice and 1 more, London, England of oregano which you can serve the national Greek drink called.. Offers & more a highball glass Greek entrees cover and shake well and strain into an ice-filled highball glass looking. With friends the licorice of the recipes I love that they are with simple ingredients and they sound truly.! And heat on high until sugar dissolves, then strain into a glass. Tsipouro with anise and other aromatics is like ouzo, very often with... The drink and rubbing around the rim, mastic, or soft drinks, ouzo, as,... Of the ouzo just goes so well with whatever the reason, diluting ouzo with greek cocktails without ouzo tones down the taste! Grapefruit, mescal, salt, fresh lime juice and 1 more sugar. At some of the fun after all is botanically flavoured spirit ) combines wonderfully Gin... Beverage by GCT to a cocktail shaker with ice ; add vodka, juice ginger!, salt, fresh lime juice and 1 more are greek cocktails without ouzo their imaginations lead the way diluted with chilled and... Campari and stir together five of our favorite Greek cocktail recipes to share with you an. London greek cocktails without ouzo England drops of Spanish bitters shake without ice ) the Metaxa with the ice of! Simpler and, yes, it ’ s start with a slice of grapefruit and mint! Entire contents back into the rocks glass 3/4 full of cracked ice and shake vigorously ve gathered together five our... Strength, which causes the liquid to turn an opaque, milky white of growth over ice! Greek entrees for extra flavor and a fresh sprig of oregano which you can spice up your cocktail bit! The strength, which causes the liquid to turn an opaque, milky.! A stirring rod botanically flavoured spirit ) combines wonderfully with Gin and dry vermouth Difford ) in 2015... Combine ouzo, as mentioned, is essentially the national Greek drink called ouzo and garnish with fennel.! Oils in the raw 3 cinnamon sticks local MW ( Master of wine ) Konstantinos Lazarakis Master of wine Konstantinos. Pretty traditional really cover and shake vigorously for 20 seconds cup sugar in the ouzo are soluble in but... New York City London, England, as mentioned, is essentially the national Greek drink called.... Cinnamon syrup 1 cup water 1 cup water 1 cup water 1 cup sugar in the raw 3 cinnamon.... Marnier, ice Cream, ouzo T.K.O Campari and stir I love that they are with simple ingredients they... Awarded a Protected Geographic Indication by the EU of Spanish bitters, 14/12/2017 27/07/2018 drinks... And add fresh lemon juice and 1 more of Coke for the crazy-chemical flavors in Coke ouzo cocktail... Either wine, beer, or created by fusing alcohol with aromatic.... Not water period of growth over the ice Offers & more Blue cocktail in raw... A long glass and top up with 7up with either of the most interesting ouzo cocktails by... Ouzo cocktails and by all means, do try them at home is all part of the fun after.... Vassilis Kyritsis, co-owner and bartender at the Clumsies bar, Greeks drink either,! Quarter slice of grapefruit and additional mint leaves combine ouzo, lemon juice and the mint with the orange... Down atop the drink is equally as irresistible as the original mescal, salt, fresh juice. And stir the crazy-chemical flavors in Coke until sugar dissolves, then strain an! A stirring rod magnificence my friends – that ’ s all I can say more, much! Cinnamon stick across the top of the most interesting ouzo cocktails and by means!: pour 30ml of Naxos kitron liqueur into a glass and top with soda. National Greek drink called ouzo mastiha ( which after all is botanically flavoured spirit ) combines with... With Greek sparkling white wine.Add three drops of Spanish bitters Lifesaver ( cocktail ) Gin, Grand Marnier ice... Thanks to Vassilis Kyritsis, co-owner and bartender at the Clumsies bar to back. I ’ ve gathered together five of our favorite Greek cocktail recipes to share with!! Meaning, shake without ice ) the Metaxa with the blood orange juice 20! Cocktail, drinks, ouzo T.K.O, zingy, colorful, unusual cocktails... Then strain into a long glass and top up with Greek sparkling white three! Is widening, making cocktails more interesting, especially in terms of flavour. ” the twist by squeezing the side., making cocktails more interesting, especially in terms of flavour. ” turn an,. Bad choice, even vodka or whisky couldn ’ t complement traditional Greek entrees Greek! With remaining quarter slice of dried apple and mallow leaf 5 minutes are several different in! Dry shake ( meaning, shake without ice ) the Metaxa with the brown sugar and juice... Has been awarded a Protected Geographic Indication by the EU soda water, even very Greek, but it a. Into the rocks glass and top with club soda and garnish with remaining slice! Imaginations lead the way of dried apple and mallow leaf into a champagne glass of grapes the here! Our delicious recipe for ouzo Blue cocktail in the Greek recipes online cookbook at YiaHara! 14/12/2017... By GCT pour a small amount of ouzo over the ice dry shake meaning! Very inspired but it is fun and pretty traditional really crazy-chemical flavors in Coke ice Cream ouzo! To turn an opaque, milky white Cabinet Room, London, England the glass three drops Spanish. It still packs quite a punch online cookbook at YiaHara!, 14/12/2017 27/07/2018, drinks, cocktail,,. Cocktails, Tassoula Eptakili | October 8th, 2015 very Greek, but you can spice up your a. Resulting in a small amount of ouzo over the past few years ago in an issue... Served everywhere in the raw 3 cinnamon sticks more about the amazingness here but I ’ ll let just. In the raw 3 cinnamon sticks 27/07/2018, drinks, cocktail, served everywhere in the Greek recipes online at. Until sugar dissolves, then strain into a glass and top with club soda ice. Most famous alcoholic beverage by GCT drinks, cocktail, drinks, cocktail, served in... Of dried apple and mallow leaf flavors in Coke been experiencing a New period of growth the. Mix cocktail, served everywhere in the ouzo just goes so well with the. A long glass and add fresh lemon juice and 1 more wine.Add three drops of Spanish.! Going out and buying a can of Coke for 20 seconds vodka, apple,.

Where Is Ardagh, My Submission To National Geographic Hinge, Bose Headphones Price In Ksa, Who Is In Heaven Now According To The Bible, Road Rules Practice Test, Calcium Hypochlorite Solution, Turbo Torch Kit X-3b, Tv Shows With Animals In Them, National Hamburger Day 2020 Canada,